Key Highlights
  • An FS-1 document demonstrates that you have liability insurance in compliance with North Carolina insurance laws. (In other states, this form is an SR-22 or is labeled a certificate of insurance.)
  • Minimum requirements of liability insurance for private vehicles are $30,000 for bodily injury (for one person)/$60,000 for bodily injury for two or more people/$25,000 for property damage. It’s commonly referred to as 30/60/25.
  • North Carolina also requires uninsured motorist bodily injury of $30,000/$60,000 and uninsured motorist property damage of 25,000 – so 30/60/25.
  • Insurance companies must notify the NCDMV when coverage has been canceled, and penalties can be levied if you’re caught driving without having started a new policy.

The FS-1 is a document that serves as proof that you have liability insurance and comply with North Carolina car insurance laws. It demonstrates proof of financial responsibility and works similar to proof of insurance in other states.

It is a simple form provided by insurance companies in North Carolina, and North Carolina is the only state that uses an FS-1 document. It’s similar to the SR-22 used in other states for drivers with a DUI violation who must show proof of coverage but is also used for those whose coverage has lapsed or for those who simply use the FS-1 in addition to an insurance card to demonstrate proof of coverage.

In other states, this type of form is labeled as a certificate of insurance. In North Carolina you can get the proof of insurance (FS-1) form from an insurance company. You must receive it from a company that is licensed to do business in North Carolina. The North Carolina Department of Transportation (DOT) states that when titling or registering your vehicle in North Carolina you must show proof of insurance.

Acceptable documents for proof of insurance include:

  • Owner provides insurance company name and policy number (Self Certification), or
  • A Certificate of Insurance (FS-1), obtained from an insurance company that is licensed to do business in North Carolina.

The minimum requirements of liability insurance for a private passenger vehicle are $30,000 for bodily injury for one person; $60,000 bodily injury for two or more people and $25,000 property damage. This is written as 30/60/25. Uninsured motorist bodily injury of 30/60 and uninsured motorist property damage of $25,000 is also required as part of a car insurance policy.

North Carolina law requires each car insurance company to notify the DMV when coverage has been cancelled. So, penalties can be handed out if the DMV finds that you had a policy canceled and do not have a new policy starting.

Why do I need an FS-1?

You may need an FS-1 to prove you have coverage if you:

  • Register a car in North Carolina
  • Have your insurance canceled
  • You switched car insurance companies
  • Your insurance coverage lapsed
  • You want so show proof of coverage in addition to having your insurance card

A lapse in coverage for a week up to 30 days will hike your car insurance rate by an average of 9%, or about $130, a year. A 60-day lapse gets you a 13%, about $190 more a year. So, it’s wise to try to prevent an interruption in your coverage.

How to submit an FS-1 form

North Carolina car insurance companies have a system worked out so FS-1 forms can be electronically filed with the state. To provide proof of insurance coverage to the DMV, you can speak with your car insurance agent to obtain the FS-1 form. You can have your car insurance company electronically submit the form, or FAX it to 919-733-6949, at the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles. Call the NCDMV Customer Contact Center at (919) 715-7000 from 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on weekdays to confirm that NCDMV has received the form.